Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Hello everyone, It’s that time of year again. There’s still no cure so I’ll be lacing up my shoes and captaining my little team to participate in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. This year it will be on October 19th and 20th. And as always, I am required to raise $1,800 to participate. Over the past 4 years you have all done so much to help me raise money to help. Together we have saved lives by making sure someone can get the screening and medical intervention they need to fight this dreadful disease. We’ve gotten testing done, we’ve given rides to appointments and we’ve eased their minds and touched their hearts. We’ve done our very best to make sure that no child has to grow up without their mother or father and that is something very, very special. I am truly thankful to each of you for your generous support, both financial and moral. While the walk does get a bit easier every year, I guess because I know what I’m getting into and that whole muscle memory thing, 39 miles is still a long walk no matter how you look at it. Every year there comes a point when I wonder why I keep getting myself into this. A point when my legs are on fire, my blisters have blisters and I just don’t want to do it anymore. A point when the simple act of putting one foot in front of the other seems like it would take a herculean effort and makes you want to cry. But there is always something that keeps me going. Last year, as I was walking, thinking how crazy I truly was, out of the blue, I was given a sash. During the walk weekend, the people who volunteer to keep us safe and supported on the route are each given some pink sashes. They are given a certain time window in which to give out their sashes. The concept behind it is that every three minutes someone is diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in this country. To symbolize this, a sash is given out every three minutes. It hit me, I had just been “given” cancer. Just like that, I was “fighting for my life” I was a statistic. All thought of giving up went out of my mind. So, I once again ask you to please help me by making a donation either by check made out to Avon Walk for Breast Cancer or via my webpage ://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/redspage Thank you once again for your help and support. Together, we make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment